Just Fish/Seafood Recipes Home|
Tap 'Back' for the recipe list you were browsing.
Cod Stuffed Cabbage with Artichoke Brown Butter
1 md Head savoy cabbage -- (about 2 pounds) -- cored
1/4 c Vegetable oil
3 lb Cod -- cut into 8 equal portions
Kosher salt -- to taste
freshly ground black pepper -- to taste
4 drops Tabasco sauce
1 tb Olive oil
1 1/2 c Frozen artichokes -- cut in 1/2-inch slices
1 c Unsalted butter
2 tb Lemon juice
2 tb Thyme -- finely chopped
2 tb Parsley -- finely chopped
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the cabbage and boil, turning, peeling off each leaf as it comes loose. Rinse the leaves under running cold water. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a skillet over high heat, heat the vegetable oil. Sprinkle the cod with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown the cod in the skillet on both sides. Transfer to a baking sheet, place in the oven and bake until flaky, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
3. In a bowl, break the cod into small bits. Add the Tabasco and season with salt and pepper. On a work surface, lay out 8 of the largest cabbage leaves. Place 1/2cup of the cod in the bottom center of each leaf. Working with one leaf at a time, roll the bottom edge over the cod filling and fold in the sides. Roll the just-formed pocket forward and close the flap with a toothpick.
4. Transfer the rolls to a casserole pan with a tight-fitting lid and pour in enough water to reach 1/3 of the way up the rolls. Cover the pan and place it in the oven. Bake the rolls until very soft, about 30 minutes. Set the covered pan of cabbage rolls aside.
5. In a skillet, over high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the artichokes and cook, stirring, until brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer the artichokes to a plate.
6. Wipe out the skillet and return it to high heat. Add the butter and cook, stirring frequently, until the butter turns dark brown, about 7 minutes. Immediately stir in the lemon juice, thyme and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the artichokes.
7. Transfer the rolls to a platter and cover with the artichoke butter. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings.